Any web site can be integrated with BDP using the existing API. However, one approach that has been historically popular with our clients is to use WordPress as a web content management solution, and to integrate with BDP via existing data import/export routes that are already supported by this third party plugin.
Additional features unique to BDP are further supported by additional plugins to include BDP-specific data, additional scenarios for linking and SEO, and a return path for enquiries.
Basic website requirements
In order to implement BDP in WordPress, you first of all need a suitable WordPress site.
- Up to date basic WordPress installation
- PropertyHive plugin (Free): https://wp-property-hive.com
- The PropertyHive Import add-on (£199 a year subscription): https://wp-property-hive.com/addons/property-import/
- For integrating enquiry forms back into BDP, Contact Form 7 (CF7) plugin (Free): https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/contact-form-7/
- To use the BDP for CF7 plugin, a BDP API Key is required.
- The BDP for PropertyHive plugin is recommended:
- Includes closing dates, EPC rating, Garden and Parking fields for templating
- Manages redirects to properties based on BDP id (e.g. for Creator)
- The BDP for CF7 plugin is recommended:
- Enabled developers to set up a return path to send viewing requests and general enquiries back into BDP.
- If you are building your website using Elementor, the BDP for Elementor plugin will add actions to Elementor to route forms built in Elementor back to BDP. This is much easier to use than CF7, but you will need to have a site built using the Elementor application.
- Ask BDP Support to provide a datafeed export for use in PropertyHive. This will take the form of a URL to a BLM export file.
- In the PropertyHive configuration, add the data feed as a “BLM File – Remote URL”:
- Configure the rest of your PropertyHive installation, including templating, as required.
BDP For PropertyHive
PropertyHive includes long-form URLs for property pages, which are SEO-friendly and should be used where possible. However, these are in the control of PropertyHive. In order to create predictable URLs for inclusion in printed material, etc, BDP for PropertyHive plugin support a redirect scheme to a BDP ID, e.g. properties will be addressable via the shortcode URL:
In WordPress dashboard (Settings → BDP Property Hive), define the URL prefix for these predictable URLS – the “property” in the example above – as the “Redirect Base”. You may also specify a destination page for any invalid or old property ids, we recommend the main property details page.
BDP For Contact Form 7
Create contact forms for individual property viewings, general enquiries and for valuations.
Ensure that your BDP API Key and details are set in wp-config.php:
Visit BDP Mapping from the CF7 menu. For each CF7 form you would like to send to BDP, select “Add new BDP Form” and match the fields in the input form to the fields required in BDP.
For property-specific queries (i.e. Viewing requests), BDP support will be able to help configure the form to link contact forms back to the BDP property being shown.